Friday, September 3, 2010

Gold Camp Road









9 Miles 1:06:42 7:24 average per mile
11:30 am) Sunny! Nice!
So I did some research and found this road. It's a old mining
road that used to be used in the Gold mining days. It was how
people got from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek. It's now
closed but open to hikers and mountain bikes. The road has a
3-4 % grade not bad at all. I started at around 7500 ft. and
when I turned around at 4.5 miles I was at 8375 ft. Going
back was nice with the slight downhill. I actually ran some
fast miles! My last mile was my fastest and fastest since I
have been here 6:08.
The road has several tunnels. The first tunnel you in counter
is just over a mile from the trail head. The tunnel is gated
so you can't go through. I found the trail just to the left
and went up the trail and over and then back down to the
road and continued on. I was hoping to see tunnel #2 but
after 4.5 miles decided I better turn around. I will try to
go farther next time and hope to see it. I guess tunnel #3
is in bad shape it had a collapse a few years back and is not
safe. This is a great run when you don't feel like doing
lost of technical running and the surface is soft and forgiving.

2 comments:

GZ said...

Tunnels, eh?

http://www.skyrunner.com/story/oilcreek.htm

Brad Poppele said...

yes tunnels. see picture #4 look closely and you will see tunnel. Thanks for the link. i did not know abouth that one.