Monday, September 5, 2011

ADT Trail Marathon Colorado Springs, CO


2:54:41 6:40 average per mile
8th Overall out of 443 2nd Master
6:30 am) Cold at the start low 40's warmed up nice though.
New PR at altitude (3:02 Denver 2010). Was not sure I would
even run this till Saturday morning when I found out I was
off work today.

Got bused to the start at 5:00 am. Arrived at start at 5:30
had to wait in the cold for an hour. It was very cold low
40's with a nice breeze. Once race started it was fine.
I had arm warmers, head band & gloves on to keep somewhat
warm.

First mile was 6:37 and felt easy this was a good start.
I wanted to run around 6:45 average today. I tried to hold
back the first few miles. Around mile 7 I was kind of by
myself and saw 2 runners in front of me so I picked up the
pace to reel them in. Once I caught them I stayed with them
till around mile 16. Turns out the one guy was Joseph I ran
a training run with him on Barr trail a month or so earlier.
The other guy was Nick he ended up 7th place and first master.

Around mile 17 I saw my friend Mike E. and threw a bunch of
gear at him arm warmers and such. It was getting warm at
this point. I felt pretty good all day but the second half
was definitely harder than the first. I think running Pikes
Peak marathon just 2 weeks ago had a lot to do with that.

My goal today was to use this as my last long run before
Bear Chase 50k in 20 days. I just hope I recover fast from
this run.

This is a well run race and highly recommend it. A few small
problems but nothing that hurt the experience for me.

4 comments:

HappyTrails said...

That is awesome Brad - looks like you made a nice recovery from Pikes Peak. Congratulations!

Brad Poppele said...

Thanks Steve! Yes I've recovered well from Pikes Peak. Now I just need another fast recovery for my 50k!

Craig Hilton said...

Great effort Brad. Well done and speedy recovery for your 50K. Craig

Brad Poppele said...

Thanks Craig!