Saturday, April 5, 2014

Redline Half Marathon Westminster, Colorado



16.1 mile half marathon! 1:39:48 6:12 average per mile
13.1 miles in 1:20:30 6:09 average per mile
8:00 am) 40's sunny! Perfect weather!
Last minute decision to do this race on Thursday. Figured it would be a good
workout. Little did I know it would be a hard 18 mile day.
Arrived to Westminster early so we could find the start line. This was a
good call as we drove around for over 30 minutes only to not find the start
line. Finally Bethany says the start line should be that way get out of the
car and start running on that bike path. I jumped out of the car and started
running hard as I had no idea how far it was to the start. I found a few runners
and they guided me in the right direction. I was pretty winded by the time I
got to the start line. I probably ran about 2 miles. So I had a little time
before the start to catch my breath and compose myself.
Gun went off and it was myself and one other guy pulling away from the pack
almost immediately. I hoped he would stay with me so I could push myself.
Unfortunately after 1.5 miles he fell off the pace.
We followed the lead bicycle guy around some rocky roads before making a wrong
turn. He for some reason didn't know the course. I assumed he knew what he
was doing and so did the other runners. So I'm running along and come to realize
he doesn't know what he is doing. What a bad feeling that is. We finally get
to a road and he tells me to turn right. Then he leaves me and goes back for
the other runners. I couldn't believe he had done this. I had no idea how
to get back on course. Finally I come to a dead end street. I'm like this
is just great. I finally figure out a way to get back to the bike path.
I come up to the first aid station mile 3 and look at my watch mile 6!
I'm pissed off at this point. I continue to run hard as what else can I
do. This was very hard on me mentally more than physically at this point in
the race. I see my girlfriend a couple times out on the course and I voice
my aggravation to her. I checked my watch at mile 13.1 because I wanted to
know what my half marathon time would have been. It was 1:20:30. Pretty
happy with that considering the guy taking us the wrong way which included
a very hard mile that I should not have had to run. It was my slowest of
the day 6:43. Plus I had to stop a couple times to find my way. I figure
I would have gone sub 1:20 if I had been on course. I finished the race
finally after 16.1 miles and immediately voiced my disappointment with
them. Race director was very apologetic. Still does not change the outcome.
Since the race was so messed up there was no awards. He did however give me
the award for the win.
I don't win races often and it's a shame I didn't get publicly aknowledged.
Oh well it's a small race and not really a big deal.

st5/b/68

2 comments:

GZ said...

I'd love to be able to recommend that race company's events as they are local and all, but they have bothced a couple of simple things that I find to be troublesome.

Nice performance Brad.

Brad Poppele said...

Thanks GZ!