Monday, March 5, 2012

Little Rock Marathon Race Report





26.2 Miles 2:43:59 6:16 average per mile
8th overall out of 1984 finishers
8:00 am) 40's-50's Sunny & Breezy
No PR on this day but still second fastest marathon and this
course was harder than the course I set my PR on. I was not
prepared for the rolling hills on this course and the 3 miles
of climbing from miles 13-16. I thought I could run a certain
pace and just hold it. With the hills though my pace was all
over the place making it very hard to run my race. I hope
to run this again next year and now at least have the visual.
My training was not geared for this course next year I will
make the adjustment.
Race was an awesome experience. I was treated so good. The
elite coordinator Joyce was Awesome!!! The finisher medal is
just ridiculous see picture! I made a couple good friends
my roommate from Wisconsin and a ultra runner from Colorado.
We had a blast.
I think my splits show how hilly this course really was.
5:55,6:03,5:55,6:03,6:15,6:09,6:23,6:11,6:14,6:33,6:14,6:17
6:12,6:33,6:39,6:24,6:13,6:01,6:14,6:22,6;17,6:08,6:18,6:11
6:11,6:03.
1:21:22 half 1:22:37 second half only 1:15 slower even with
the longer steeper hills. Happy I stayed so strong late in
race. Probably why I was passing runners to the end.

B/st5/181

6 comments:

GZ said...

Congrats. That bodes well for the summer.

And that medal is a border line pot cover. Sheesh.

Sean O'Day said...

I coulda told you Little Rock was hilly, friend. :)

Nice work on a tough course. Looks like your getting nicked up toward the end didn't hinder you much.

Alicia said...

Nice job Brad. That medal is sick! How did the knee hold up?

Craig Hilton said...

Awesome stuff Brad. Congrats. Good to read in your report there was no mention of the knee. Hope that is behind you.

HappyTrails said...

Great running Brad - how much does that medal weigh??? Congratulations - you worked hard for it!

Brad Poppele said...

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Sean, Now you tell me. Did you run this race before?

Alicia & Craig, Knee was not really an issue. I was smart and hardly ran the week leading up to the marathon and that really helped it.

Steve, The medal weight a whopping 1 pound 9 ounces.