Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Big Horn 52 mile race

52 miles 8:45 4th overall
This was a beautiful race the scenery was spectacular when I could take my
eyes of the trail for a second. The trail was very rocky so you really had
to focus on your footing. I only fell once all day. It was around mile 5.
I was trying to strap my watch back on my wrist and I caught a low
lying branch.  The first 18 miles were mostly down miles but I found
I couldn't run them very fast due to the rocks and all the mud. My shoes
got covered in mud almost from the get go. I had extra shoes at the 18.5
mile aid station so I changed my shoes and socks. I was terrible slow at
that aid station like 9 minutes worth. From that aid station the course
changes drastically. A super steep climb for 3 miles. I power hiked
most of this. The course became more up and down from this point
on till towards the end with the quad killing 3-4 miles.  My quads
where screaming and I felt like I was breaking a ton. The last 4-5 miles
was a flat dirt road. This is where I felt my best as its my strength.
I passed 1 50 mile runner on this section the top female Darcy Africa.
Overall I'm happy with my race. Of course I feel I could have done
better. Although with the time I had to train for this race and my base mileage
I did good.
I wore Hoka Huakas the first 18 miles. Pearl Izumi M2 the rest of the
race. I went with the Huakas first because of all the down hill running.
I figured they had the most cushion. I might would have worn them
for the whole race if not for them being so covered in mud and my
socks so wet.
Next race will be another 50 mile race August 1. Pikes Peak Ultra! I can't wait
for this one the course is going to be awesome!


No comments: